It really is time to purge your closet of those sweatpants and faded t-shirts you’ve been wearing for nearly two years during the Covid lock down, and the beginning of a new year is the perfect time to do it. The world has changed since March 2020, and looks created before Covid, now often feel too formal or irrelevant.
All of our closets contain many things we will never wear again so let’s get going. Ultimately you will want to sort your clothes into three piles:
- those you want to keep,
- those that you will give away or sell and
- those that go straight into the dumpster. Dumpster clothing is anything that is damaged and can’t be repaired, worn or stained – for example, shirts where the color is frayed, garments with perspiration stains.
What to Wear in 2022 – Things to Toss
I suggest starting with those that will go into the dumpster because it’s rather cathartic and will make you feel like you’ve accomplished something. My top five “dumpster” candidates include:
- Pleated pants. They’re fine if you’re over 85. Otherwise, get rid of them.
- Three button jackets. If you used to be a professional athlete or are over 6’7”, they’re okay. That’s it; end of story.
- Polos or shirts with dirty yellow collars definitely go in the dumpster.
- Clothes that don’t currently fit also need to be removed from your closet. If you been keeping those pants that you used wear when you were 10 pounds lighter, I suggest getting rid of them. It’s probably not going to happen.
- If you haven’t worn it in the last year, you probably won’t be wearing it in 2022. Put it in the dumpster.
If you’re still confused, ask yourself the following questions.
- Would I buy this today?
- Does this fit my current lifestyle? That’s an important one, especially in Arizona. Many of you may have moved here from a colder climate. Unless you plan to frequently travel back to that part of the country, get rid of most of those “snow and ice” clothes.
- When was the last time I wore it? Then ask, when will I wear it in the next year?
If you’re still don’t know what to do, bring it to me, and I’ll help you. The end goal is to get rid of what you don’t need to free up space for what you do need.
What to Wear in 2022 – What to Keep
As far as what you should keep, I recommend the following:
- Staples: clothing and accessories you can incorporate with any brand.
- Basic pieces
- Things you like and have worn in the last year.
- Layering pieces
Before you know it, you will have purged your entire closet of all your “unwanted” clothes and accessories. In fact, you’ll actually be able to see what you have, which will make your daily dressing a lot less stressful. As you move forward, keep this final tip in mind.
Less is more: buy less but buy better. Closets don’t have to be full. Buying quality always beats cheap and trendy. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t have a few trendy items for each season but consider quality ready-to-wear or even custom. In the long run, you’ll look better and feel more confident in your clothes. You may even find that you’re spending less on your wardrobe.
I’m Mary from Q. Contrary wishing you a happy and prosperous 2022. Check out my shop in Phoenix at 3168 East Camelback Road or visit my online store. I’d love to help you with your wardrobe needs.