Here are 5 of my favorite local shops here in Phoenix!
Last month Forever 21 filed for chapter 11. They were not the only retailer this year who filed for bankruptcy. Payless, Barneys New York, Kona Grill, Roberto Cavalli, Z Gallerie, Diesel, and others also started closing doors. What’s the cause of this? Business insiders claim online shopping to be the blame. More and more shoppers are not hitting the mall and moving to online shopping. It’s not just low end or high-end shops suffering, it’s everyone. The consumer shopping habits are changing and as a result so are the malls. The Biltmore Mall (near my shop) is losing tenants and gaining a gym (Lifetime Fitness). I’ve read that malls are working to get good anchor restaurants to help get people to visit. Hope that works. With food delivery – who knows if people will still go out to eat. I won’t be surprised if before 2020, Amazon will deliver dinner in 30 minutes.
With all the change happening in retail, I wanted to list my 5 favorite local shops here in Phoenix. Next time you are looking for something new, do something different and visit their store. It will take effort. Maybe visit their online shop. Supporting local businesses is great for the community and city. Your money stays here and doesn’t go to other places.
1. Manor Phoenix– a local men’s shop carrying casual and cool kid looks. Jeremy, the owner, does a great job hand selecting the latest sneakers and t-shirt. Manor is located at 100 E Camelback Road (in Uptown Plaza).
2. Bunky Boutique– Bunky is a downtown boutique that carries local designers. Rachel, the owner, opened her shop 12 years ago and now has a second space in Sky Harbor Airport. She hand picks a great assortment of clothing (men, women & kids), accessories, candles, jewelry, stationary and more. I was introduced to Rachel 5 years ago when I moved here and it’s my go to place when I need a gift for someone – especially myself.
3. Blossoms & Beehives– blossoms & beehives is a luxury lingerie boutique located near 44th and Camelback. With brands from around the world, our selection includes soft 100% organic cottons, micro modals, exquisite laces, and luxurious silks. They carry the most beautiful bras, panties and sleepwear. I was introduced to them by a local blogger I follow and stopped by their shop earlier this summer. They were so helpful, and I love my new sleepwear. They are extra soft.
4. TheLifeStyledCo. – I found Kristen’s Gilbert boutique years ago on Instagram and fell in love with her store and design aesthetic. I even drove all the way out to Gilbert one weekend to check out for myself. She inspires me and love how she has evolved her brand to sell home goods as well as women’s clothing. I have seen her speak about her business and she inspired me to find a retail space. She recently opened a new shop here in Arcaida; down the street from me at 44th and Indian School. Next time you need something new for your home or wardrobe, head over there. You will love everything about her shop.
5. Essence Bakery– This bakery has hands down the best croissants (outside of Paris). They literally melt in your mouth. I made the mistake of craving one one Monday morning, however, they were closed. Their macarons are also amazing; I love their croissants. They are located at 38th and Indian School. Next time you have a coffee date, go here. They may be offering baking classes in the near future. I’ll be signing up for those for sure!
Thank you to everyone who shops local and supports local. Sure, you can’t get everything local and from time to time you need to order online. Just try to make a habit of supporting your local stores. It means more than you know!
3188 East Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ 85016